Skip to main content

Beetroot Cake


I've never been especially focused on healthy eating, rather the opposite :) However, the idea of this cake looked interesting so I decided to give it a go. It was well worth it - chocolate cake just as I like it - moist and sweet, though there's no sugar in it!

Ingredients:

2/3 cup sunflower oil
1/2 cup honey
50 g dark chocolate (70%), broken into pieces
250 g  raw beetroots, grated
3 eggs
1 ½ cup flour
2 tsp baking powder
5 tbsp cocoa powder
a pinch salt
1 tbsp dried shredded coconut (optional)

Start with the beetroot. Place unpeeled beetroot in a pan and cover with water. Simmer for about 40 minutes, remove from heat, drain the beetroot and leave to cool.
 

When it's cooled the peel will be really easy to remove, then grate on the small side of the grater.


Preheat the oven to 175°C. Warm the oil in a medium size sauce pan on very low heat. Add honey and chocolate and stir until the chocolate is melted. Remove from heat. Add the grated beets. Whisk the eggs in a small bowl and then add them to the sauce pan. Sift flour, baking powder, cocoa powder and salt together and stir into the beet mixture. Grease a baking tray with oil and add shredded coconut to prevent the batter from sticking to side of the pan. Bake for 25 minutes or until slightly dark and crackled on top and still a little sticky inside. I waited for the cake to cool and cut it horizontally into 2 halves. Then I stewed a few plums with sugar and spread them onto the cake, and added chocolate on top. Bliss!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gingerbread Layer Cake

This Christmas I decided to "pimp up" my gingerbread a bit, after a last minute inspiration. I saw a photo of this cake, literally a day before making the cake and decided it's an absolute must this Christmas. I really like how the cake combines gingerbread and gateau type cake features, it's both presentable and delicious. The cake (4 layers): 150 g honey (liquid) 200 g butter or margarine 500 g plain flour 3 yolks 4 tbsp milk 1 tbs purified soda 100 g sugar 1 tbsp ground ginger 1 tbsp ground cinnamon 1 tsp ground nutmeg 1 tsp ground cardamon 1tsp ground cloves a pinch of ground black pepper Combine the ingredients in a large bowl - as it's really hard to do, you may be best off using dough whisks on a food mixer. Cover the bowl with cling film and put into the fridge for 24 hours. After that time, divide the dough into 4 parts, place on a baking paper-lined baking tray and bake in 180C for about 15 minutes. Leave to cool.   The cream: ...

How come I'm in Italy?

My little students often ask me: "Miss, how is it possible that you speak Italian and also English?" It's very cute when they do, but others ask equally often - how come you live here? Well, some people have their "American dream", I've got my Italian one. That's it. I've always loved Italy. I've liked the sound of the language, Italian food's always been one of my absolute favourites, and one day as I was travelling in Italy I had a thought - why not try to live and work here? There are some many teachers like me, who work in this country, I could do it too! I like doing things my way instead of following the same path as others. Life's short and what's the point wasting it repeating the things other people have already done? And so, a day before the end of the year we landed in Brindisi, Puglia where our Italian life began. I'll always have a soft spot for Puglia. Maybe I'm exaggerating, but I feel that it was the time o...

It's been a while

Well, a lot has changed since I last posted anything. I'd probably forget about this blog altogether, be it not for the need to look up the recipes I keep here! As a part of my language practice I've started an Italian blog about the ins-outs of my Italian adventure and thought that home-made-happiness could be its English twin site.