Skip to main content

Olive Bread - Wonderful Breakfast Idea

Photobucket
It's been a good while since I last posted here. I've got quite a bit on my plate at the moment, and we're looking for a new place to live, so the 24 hours in a day often does not feel enough! Anyway, the May break (over a week off!!!) proved to be a good moment to slow down and indulge myself in cooking again.
The weather has been truly fabulous in the last few days - bright, sunny and the temperatures reaching nearly 30C, you may get the impression the summer has come! Not quite, but not far off either.



 Today, I got up and had a real craving for nice, crusty bread. As May 3rd is a bank holiday in Poland the shops will mostly be closed, and even if they're open, getting nice, fresh bread might be nothing more than wishful thinking today. I resorted to making bread myself - I tried a recipe for an olive bread, which disappeared from our plates in a matter of minutes, so I consider it a success! ;-)


Photobucket

For the bread you need:
0.5 kilo of plain all purpose flour
half a packet of dried yeast (5-7 gram)
a spoonful of salt
half a spoon of sugar
water
a sprinkle of olive oil
olives

Mix the flour with yeast, salt and sugar in a large bowl, add a sprinkle of olive oil and water and mix together until it makes a dough. If you're not sure how much water to add start with a small amount and keep adding more until all the ingredients have blended into a dough, Then knead the dough well for a few minutes, and when it's smooth cover the bowl with a tea towel and put in a warm place for about 30 minutes to grow. When it's grown, add olives and knead again, and put in a warm place for another 30 minutes.
Pre-heat the oven to the maximum temperature, line the baking trays with baking paper, or cover them with butter and sprinkle bread crumbs in it. When the dough is ready divide it in two parts (or more - depending what size loaves you want), form loaves, and place them in the oven for about 20-25 minutes. This is actually the only tricky part - the actual baking time will depend on the oven - so it's good to keep an eye and check after about 15 minutes of baking how it's going. If the crust is golden brown take the breads out, place them on the bread board on cooling rack for a few minutes. When it's not burning hot, you can enjoy your breads. it tastes delicious on its own, as well as with butter, dipped with olive oil, or olive oil  and balsamic vinegar mix. It would probably go very well with pesto, and plenty of other things that I haven't thought about yet. however it is served, it is definitely worth trying!


Photobucket


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gingerbread Layer Cake

This Christmas I decided to "pimp up" my gingerbread a bit, after a last minute inspiration. I saw a photo of this cake, literally a day before making the cake and decided it's an absolute must this Christmas. I really like how the cake combines gingerbread and gateau type cake features, it's both presentable and delicious. The cake (4 layers): 150 g honey (liquid) 200 g butter or margarine 500 g plain flour 3 yolks 4 tbsp milk 1 tbs purified soda 100 g sugar 1 tbsp ground ginger 1 tbsp ground cinnamon 1 tsp ground nutmeg 1 tsp ground cardamon 1tsp ground cloves a pinch of ground black pepper Combine the ingredients in a large bowl - as it's really hard to do, you may be best off using dough whisks on a food mixer. Cover the bowl with cling film and put into the fridge for 24 hours. After that time, divide the dough into 4 parts, place on a baking paper-lined baking tray and bake in 180C for about 15 minutes. Leave to cool.   The cream: ...

How come I'm in Italy?

My little students often ask me: "Miss, how is it possible that you speak Italian and also English?" It's very cute when they do, but others ask equally often - how come you live here? Well, some people have their "American dream", I've got my Italian one. That's it. I've always loved Italy. I've liked the sound of the language, Italian food's always been one of my absolute favourites, and one day as I was travelling in Italy I had a thought - why not try to live and work here? There are some many teachers like me, who work in this country, I could do it too! I like doing things my way instead of following the same path as others. Life's short and what's the point wasting it repeating the things other people have already done? And so, a day before the end of the year we landed in Brindisi, Puglia where our Italian life began. I'll always have a soft spot for Puglia. Maybe I'm exaggerating, but I feel that it was the time o...

It's been a while

Well, a lot has changed since I last posted anything. I'd probably forget about this blog altogether, be it not for the need to look up the recipes I keep here! As a part of my language practice I've started an Italian blog about the ins-outs of my Italian adventure and thought that home-made-happiness could be its English twin site.