Skip to main content

Easy and Delicious Cheese Parcels

Although I really like cooking and could spend ages in the kitchen preparing, tasting and 'bringing the meal to perfection', on an average day time is of essence so lunch must be tasty, but  most of all quick. It took us a while to fight the temptation of takeaways or fast food bars (old habits! :) as an option for quick lunch, but by now, I've developed quite a selection of quick and tasty meals.
The luxury of 'slow cooking' is reserved for the weekends and actually, the first time I prepared this meal was indeed at the weekend, as I expected the preparation to be much longer than it really is.  I was quite shocked how quickly the parcels were ready to be served (only to disappear from the plates even faster!).
The meal combines the necessary requirements for a 'weekday lunch' - it is stunningly easy to prepare and truly delicious - could one ask for more? Depending in the imagination they may be square, triangular, or circular shaped. I usually go for squares, so my parcels look like puffy cushions. This time I added a few triangles, but the French pastry I used didn't make my life easy - it was too sticky on the outside, whereas the sides of my parcels wouldn't want to close. It took a bit of effort, but in the end they (mostly:) closed.



To prepare the parcels we need:

A packet of French pastry
150 gram of strong cheese
100 gram of blue cheese
100 gram of smoked ham
2 tablespoons of cream
2 eggs
black pepper




Roll the pastry and cut into squares. Dice the cheese, blue cheese and ham, mix them well in a bowl. Add cream, 1 egg and pepper to taste (no need for salt here, as blue cheese will add the salty flavour. Mix all the ingredients well, then distribute the stuffing on the French pastry squares - leaving 1 cm on the sides uncovered to close the parcels. Be careful not to overfill them. Stick the sides together and make sure they together well, otherwise the filling will pour out during baking it nearly! happened to a few of mine, you can tell from the pictures). Fluff the remaining egg and spread it on top of the parcels with a baking brush (it will add a lovely golden colour). Place the parcels on baking paper covered tray and put them into pre-heated to 200C oven for 15 minutes. That's it - they're ready.
I usually serve them with pesto based sauce, as they might seem too dry on their own. Unfortunately, all the sauces I make tend to be "made to taste", I adjust the amount of ingredients while observing what is happening with the sauce.

For this one we need:

1 or 2 tablespoons of butter
1 or 2 teaspoons of plain all-purpose flour
4-5 tablespoons of pesto genovese (basil pesto)
1 teaspoon of olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
some milk

Melt butter in a pan and add flour, stir until the mixture is smooth. Add some milk (not much, it is mostly added to give the sauce volume) and keep on stirring. Spoon in pesto, olive oil and add spices.  Simmer for a few minutes so as it heats up, if it thickens to much you can add more milk. If you want it to be thicker, though, add a little bit more flour (careful with it though - it's easy to overdo and make the sauce too thick and flour tasting). Bon apetit! :)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gingerbread Layer Cake

This Christmas I decided to "pimp up" my gingerbread a bit, after a last minute inspiration. I saw a photo of this cake, literally a day before making the cake and decided it's an absolute must this Christmas. I really like how the cake combines gingerbread and gateau type cake features, it's both presentable and delicious. The cake (4 layers): 150 g honey (liquid) 200 g butter or margarine 500 g plain flour 3 yolks 4 tbsp milk 1 tbs purified soda 100 g sugar 1 tbsp ground ginger 1 tbsp ground cinnamon 1 tsp ground nutmeg 1 tsp ground cardamon 1tsp ground cloves a pinch of ground black pepper Combine the ingredients in a large bowl - as it's really hard to do, you may be best off using dough whisks on a food mixer. Cover the bowl with cling film and put into the fridge for 24 hours. After that time, divide the dough into 4 parts, place on a baking paper-lined baking tray and bake in 180C for about 15 minutes. Leave to cool.   The cream:

Autumnal Food - Chanterelles

While pasta continues to dominate the food served on our dinner table, the multitude of ways it may be prepared is a real bliss. Today we opted for a simple mix of spinach pasta with chanterelles. I've always thought mushroom dishes were quite complex and time-consuming, but it was a very nice surprise to find out how wrong that assumption was. The dish I served tonight could have been ready in less than half an hour, have it been not for me making green pasta from scratch. I made green (spinach) pasta - the recipe has been posted in the post Pasta Frenzy Continues , but it may well be served with packet pasta to cut down on preparation time. As I mentioned, the sauce is both easy and quick to make, plus there's virtually nothing that could go wrong with it. You need: 300 g chanterlles a pot of cream fresh basil leaves fresh oregano leaves fresh parsley salt and pepper 1 tbsp cooking oil grated Parmesan Rinse and chop chant

Olive Bread - Wonderful Breakfast Idea

It's been a good while since I last posted here. I've got quite a bit on my plate at the moment, and we're looking for a new place to live, so the 24 hours in a day often does not feel enough! Anyway, the May break (over a week off!!!) proved to be a good moment to slow down and indulge myself in cooking again. The weather has been truly fabulous in the last few days - bright, sunny and the temperatures reaching nearly 30C, you may get the impression the summer has come! Not quite, but not far off either.  Today, I got up and had a real craving for nice, crusty bread. As May 3rd is a bank holiday in Poland the shops will mostly be closed, and even if they're open, getting nice, fresh bread might be nothing more than wishful thinking today. I resorted to making bread myself - I tried a recipe for an olive bread, which disappeared from our plates in a matter of minutes, so I consider it a success! ;-) For the bread you need: 0.5 kilo of plain all purpose flou