Skip to main content

Winter Ladies and Gentlemen!





It's hard to believe that it took until now to see some snow this winter! No snow in December, no white Christmas, and when everybody got really and truly fed up with the omnipresent colour gray - surprise! The snow had arrived. Finally we've got the evenings with white flakes dancing outside the windows, and mornings with the whole world covered with white fluff. There's always been something magical about snow for me. I've always loved  wrapping myself in a warm blanket and sipping hot cocoa or chocolate while looking at the white painted world outside. 

Speaking of hot choccy, I've got a great recipe for a winter cuppa for two, or two servings for one, since it's that good! It really is dead easy to prepare and there's no way to spoil it, no matter how much of a cooking klutz one might be! Better still - I've hear that not only is it delicious, but apparently there's something about the way the fats from chocolate and milk combine in this mixture that makes it incredibly healthy! Could one ask for more? :-)

We need:

1 bar of dark chocolate (should be at least 70%)

0.5 litre of milk

Some honey to taste (1 or 2 table spoons is enough for me, and I have a really sweet tooth! )

Optionally you might add a pinch of any spices to your liking: cinnamon, cardamom, vanilla, orange zest, or even a mixture of those. If you enjoy unusual tastes you may want to try adding some chili or green pepper (careful with the amount here :)

Break the chocolate bar into small pieces (you may chop it or put it in a plastic bag and smash it with a mullet a bit). Dilute the chocolate in 1 cup of milk (at this stage you can stir in the spices of your choice), and bring the rest of milk to boil.  

When it boils, take it off the stove and pour the diluted chocolate in. Stir well so as it blends. Simmer it for about 3 minutes, but don't allow it to boil.

Now the mixture needs to be cooled - you can put the pan into cold water (be careful not to let the water get into the chocolate mix, though! :) This way, the drink will begin to thicken. Depending how thick you want your drink to be, you need to repeat the heating and cooling procedure a few times.

When you decide it's as thick as you want it to, or that you don't want to wait any longer :) stir in some honey, if you want it sweet, pour the chocolate into cups and enjoy your drink!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gingerbread Layer Cake

This Christmas I decided to "pimp up" my gingerbread a bit, after a last minute inspiration. I saw a photo of this cake, literally a day before making the cake and decided it's an absolute must this Christmas. I really like how the cake combines gingerbread and gateau type cake features, it's both presentable and delicious. The cake (4 layers): 150 g honey (liquid) 200 g butter or margarine 500 g plain flour 3 yolks 4 tbsp milk 1 tbs purified soda 100 g sugar 1 tbsp ground ginger 1 tbsp ground cinnamon 1 tsp ground nutmeg 1 tsp ground cardamon 1tsp ground cloves a pinch of ground black pepper Combine the ingredients in a large bowl - as it's really hard to do, you may be best off using dough whisks on a food mixer. Cover the bowl with cling film and put into the fridge for 24 hours. After that time, divide the dough into 4 parts, place on a baking paper-lined baking tray and bake in 180C for about 15 minutes. Leave to cool.   The cream:

Autumnal Food - Chanterelles

While pasta continues to dominate the food served on our dinner table, the multitude of ways it may be prepared is a real bliss. Today we opted for a simple mix of spinach pasta with chanterelles. I've always thought mushroom dishes were quite complex and time-consuming, but it was a very nice surprise to find out how wrong that assumption was. The dish I served tonight could have been ready in less than half an hour, have it been not for me making green pasta from scratch. I made green (spinach) pasta - the recipe has been posted in the post Pasta Frenzy Continues , but it may well be served with packet pasta to cut down on preparation time. As I mentioned, the sauce is both easy and quick to make, plus there's virtually nothing that could go wrong with it. You need: 300 g chanterlles a pot of cream fresh basil leaves fresh oregano leaves fresh parsley salt and pepper 1 tbsp cooking oil grated Parmesan Rinse and chop chant

Christmas Cakes - Mince Pies Look-alikes

I got in the mood for making these cakes in the morning, and then it all started. Actually, the day started off with an argument, as I actually said I was gonna make 'mince pies' so it gave Sam all the wrong idea... as mince pies they are not! They look deceptively similar, but the filling (both in the original recipe, and my altered version is nothing like mince pies). They are both pretty and tasty, though they may be a bit tricky to make. The main reason to try out these little goodies, was actually my latest kitchen equipment purchase - star cutters. I ordered them online, hoping the delivery would make it before Friday (as I planned baking my last batch of gingerbread cakes). With my luck the courier arrived at my door just when I put the last tray of cakes into the oven. Well, what I could I do? Had to find a recipe for other cakes, and came across these little goodies. Looked nice, and the association with minced pies was immediate, plus the recipe looked simple enou